2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
World Series 2009
Ron Fortier
post Oct 28 2009, 09:25 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,427

Well, here we are, six long months later and its the Phillies, winning the National League title for the second year running (amazing) vs perhaps the best Yankees squad in the last ten years. And lo and behold, game night one is scheduled for a lousy, rainy day threatening to cancel it. Some day all ball clubs will follow Toronto's lead and build stadiums with retractable roofs. That's my dream. In the meanwhile, lets get this show on the road!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cary
post Oct 28 2009, 12:48 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,957

Yeah it kinda drives me crazy with the rain thing these days. We were just talking about that with regard to football and how Green Bay and Pittsburgh REFUSE to build domes because they consider the weather to be the 12th man on the field. It makes for some messed up games, but it certainly makes it miserable for the fans to endure!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Oct 28 2009, 01:47 PM
Post #3

Agreed, Cary. No one purposely wants to sit out in the snow or rain!!!

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Oct 29 2009, 08:11 AM
Post #4

Leave it to pitcher Cliff Lee to have the best game of his career last night and destroy my sweep predictions. Hahahaha. Still, it was an amazing pitching display. Game one to the Phillies.

+Quote Post
AaronSmith
post Oct 29 2009, 02:43 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,836

I have to give Cliff Lee credit for pitching a masterpiece...and a complete game at that!

Sabathia didn't pitch badly, except to Utley, but our bullpen stunk!

As always, the one Yankee who came through was Derek Jeter with 3 hits! He's truly become one of the greatest Yankees over the years, standing right alongside Gehrig, Mantle, Ruth, DiMaggio and Yogi.

+Quote Post
Glen Davis
post Oct 29 2009, 06:27 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,419

Shocked at the loss. maybe the Phillies have a chance.

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Oct 30 2009, 06:17 AM
Post #7

Here we go, amigos. We have a real contest. Burnett vs Martinez. Sure brought back a whole lot of Red Sox memories for this fan. Off to Philly we go all tied up! Now it's getting interesting.

+Quote Post
AaronSmith
post Oct 30 2009, 12:40 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Of all the lousy luck, I had to be up for work at 3:30 this morning so I didn't get to watch the whole game. I went to bed with the Yankees down 1-0. Glad they won though. Of course, if it had been a game that could have ended the series I'd have stayed up as long as I had to.

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Oct 30 2009, 01:58 PM
Post #9

Hahaha, but of course, Aaron. Right now one gets the feeling that both clubs are very well matched and both have high expectations. My money is still on the Yankees. But hey, anything can happen. Hope you don't miss too much of the remaining games.

+Quote Post
AaronSmith
post Nov 1 2009, 04:41 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Ron Fortier @ Oct 30 2009, 03:58 PM) *
Hahaha, but of course, Aaron. Right now one gets the feeling that both clubs are very well matched and both have high expectations. My money is still on the Yankees. But hey, anything can happen. Hope you don't miss too much of the remaining games.

Yes, anything can happen in baseball! And it did last night, with a very bizarre A-Rod home run!

Yankees take game 3, Pettitte extends his postseason wins record, and Swisher finally breaks out of his awful postseason slump!

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Nov 1 2009, 06:17 AM
Post #11

Hi Aaron, went to bed at the bottom of the eight, relatively sure the Yanks would take the win, breaks were falling their way. Truly odd A-Rod homer for sure, but thank God for instant replay and the right call prevailed. Swisher is a spark-plug, isn't he? I think his comedic personality is just what the Yankees have needed for years to loosen up in the clubhouse. Nice to see those guys having fun again. They use to look so damn serious all the time. Okay, so lets hope the weather is kind and tonight's game is a dry one.

+Quote Post
AaronSmith
post Nov 1 2009, 06:29 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Yeah, Swisher's great. He brings a great enthusiasm to the team, he gives the impression that he's one of those guys who truly enjoys being able to play baseball. And he's a good player too. His average isn't too high, but he hits for good power, draws a lot of walks, and plays with spirit and intensity. He kind of reminds me of a happy version of Paul O'Neill.

+Quote Post
AaronSmith
post Nov 1 2009, 06:52 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Another thing about last night's game: it was good to see one of our pitchers get a hit and drive in a run, showing that AL teams don't have to be considered to have a disadvantage when the DH is out of the game. Pettitte, of course, played a few seasons in Houston, so he has some idea how to hit.

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Nov 2 2009, 06:45 AM
Post #14

Damon's truly savvy base running at the top of the ninth followed by A-Rod's clutch hit. Now that's a team with a hunger to win. And you have to wonder if Brad Lidge will ever get his pitching edge back. Last night's give-away capped a truly disastrous year for the Philly's closer. So does it all end tonight? You already know what I think.

+Quote Post
Glen Davis
post Nov 2 2009, 11:10 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Phillies choked in the 9. Too bad.

+Quote Post
AaronSmith
post Nov 2 2009, 04:18 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

That was a great move by Damon, followed by A-Rod's double. I have high hopes that we can end it tonight....if we can find a way to hit Cliff Lee this time.

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Nov 3 2009, 07:11 AM
Post #17

Phillies are determined to make a real contest out of it, aren't they? Still, part me didn't wonder watching last night's tight fought game, if the Yankees didn't slack off just a wee bit in the realization that the one true result of losing would be to bring the series back home their fans....where they can win in amidst a huge outpouring of adulation? Do the fans make a difference, well look what just happened in Philly. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Glen Davis
post Nov 3 2009, 01:46 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

I really thought the Phillies were going to give this one away like the last two, but they somehow managed to hold on.

+Quote Post
AaronSmith
post Nov 3 2009, 02:02 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Burnett was awful!

I have confidence that Pettitte can finish it tomorrow night (I hope!)

Also, going back to New York means getting Posada and MKatsui back into the lineup.

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Nov 5 2009, 06:36 AM
Post #20

They did it, Aaron!!! Congratulations to the New York Yankees, the 2009 World Series Champs!!! I could not conceive of a better way to baptize their new home then with this win. There was a lady in the stands with a poster that read, NOW THIS IS HOME. Amen to that. Way to go, Yankees. (Oh, and odd note, I'm sharing my 63rd birthday today
with Johnny Damon, who is 36 today. Too weird.)
That done, next year look out, the Red Sox are coming back!!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 04:30 PM