Reply to this topicStart new topic
Steranko
Dave Arhar
post Nov 29 2009, 12:02 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,478

I've been reading a lot of Jim Steranko's Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. work lately, and I was wondering if someone could answer a question that's been bothering me for years.

I read once that someone compiled all the unique contributions that Steranko introduced to sequential art, and that he single handily introduced over 100 storytelling techniques never before seen within comics. There must be a visual compilation of these somewhere in a book, or on the web, and if not, there should be. I would love to see the list!

Can anyone help?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Anthony Hochrein
post Nov 30 2009, 11:57 AM
Post #2

Crafter of Sketch Cards and artistic stuff

Member No.: 3,118

All I know is that his art had this beautiful graphic design feel to it! As if he would move you along through a series of movie posters!

--------------------
My Website
My DeviantArt Site
Sluggish Economy? Make something that people want to buy!!

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Nov 30 2009, 12:50 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,427

Dave, your claim seems truly outlandish here. Keep in mind, I was a huge Marvel fan when Steranko first came on the scene and at one time owned all the comics work he
had ever done, both at Marvel and privately up the time he retired from doing sequentials. Sure, Jim brought some innovative touches to story-telling, but 100 never before used techniques? No. That's simply hype.

This post has been edited by Ron Fortier: Nov 30 2009, 12:51 PM

+Quote Post
ChuckMoore
post Nov 30 2009, 01:12 PM
Post #4

Site Creator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I can't speak to that list, but I can relay that Jim claimed (back in 2006 at the DC Comic Con) that he was the original inspiration for both Michael Chabon's The Escapist and DC's Mister Miracle. He was quite excited to share tales of his days as an escape artist and magician. Interesting fellow.

Just for fun, here's a show of me (sans facial hair) from that very show...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Nov 30 2009, 01:56 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,427

Chuck, I met Jim at a Green Hornet convention in Washington, D.C. Jim had done the cover to issue # 1. Keep in mind, Jim is a big self-promoter and tends to exaggerate anything that will inflate his importance in the industry. How many middle age men do you know who show up at cons wearing riding boots and jophur pants? He did and still does.
The story about Jack Kirby being inspired by Jim to create Mister Miracle may certainly have some validity, as they both knew each other while Jim worked at Marvel and no doubt regaled Jack with is years as an escape artist. In fact Jack often kidded Jim in public that he missed his own best idea for a super-hero.
Whereas if you've read The Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Chabon, it is about the early days of the comic industry in this country. At time when most of the young teenage writers and artist of the time would have been huge fans of Harry Houdini and it is most likely that is who Chabon modeled the Escapist after. For his story, it makes
much more sense.
Please don't think I at all critical of Jim. Hell, we share the same birthday. But again, he's a self-promoting showman. Nothing wrong with that, or stretching facts. Just as long as you don't take everything thing he says for hard truths.

+Quote Post
Jon Hodges
post Nov 30 2009, 03:18 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,809

Dave,

This site might be a good place to start: http://www.thearteriesgroup.com/ComicArtForumSteranko.html

Good luck! I'd like to see if you find one single source for the information. Keep us updated!

+Quote Post
Dave Arhar
post Nov 30 2009, 03:29 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Just for the record, I didn't say that I had read that Jim Steranko made the claim himself, I read that "the list" was put together by a fan, or fans.

I mean, I may live in a far corner of the Great Comic Book Universe, but I don't want people to think I'm starting rumors about him! lol

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dave Arhar
post Nov 30 2009, 03:32 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jon Hodges @ Nov 30 2009, 04:18 PM) *
Dave,

This site might be a good place to start: http://www.thearteriesgroup.com/ComicArtForumSteranko.html

Good luck! I'd like to see if you find one single source for the information. Keep us updated!

Thanks Jon! I'll give her a looksee.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lexi D
post Dec 19 2009, 11:48 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 19,181

And you call yourselves nerds...

1) The List of 100 innovations is based on the list 76 innovations that Philip Fry and Ted Poulos found when they were putting together a Steranko exhibition at the Winnipeg Art Gallery in 1977. Supposedly James Romberger has expanded on their list, though I don't think his has ever been published.

2) Mister Miracle was partly based on him, a fact confirmed by Mark Evanier (Kirby's old assistant for those keeping track) on his website.

3) Both Joe Kavalier and The Escapist from The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay were inspired by him, as confirmed in numerous interviews with Michael Chabon and culminating in a joint signing at Lee's Comics in California

+Quote Post
Dave Arhar
post Dec 19 2009, 07:42 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Hmmm, I believe that's the list I was referring to. Whether or not it's actually valid is one argument, but the existence of the list is absolutely true. Thank you for the info!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tony R.
post Jan 4 2010, 09:51 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 19,206

QUOTE (Dave Arhar @ Dec 19 2009, 08:42 PM) *
Hmmm, I believe that's the list I was referring to. Whether or not it's actually valid is one argument, but the existence of the list is absolutely true. Thank you for the info!

James Romberger held an extensive interview with Jim Steranko, and together they compiled a very long list of innovations. James posted only a very small part of it on his website. It also covers Steranko's non-Marvel stories like The Block, Red Tide, and Outland, etc.

+Quote Post
Moemoxy
post May 4 2011, 07:01 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 19,863

I think being a showman was part of Steranko's shtick. He just doesn't seem happy to be in the background.

+Quote Post
Guest_cougar18_*
post May 4 2011, 08:37 AM
Post #13

Guests

QUOTE (Moemoxy @ May 4 2011, 06:01 AM) *
I think being a showman was part of Steranko's shtick. He just doesn't seem happy to be in the background.

Plus he continued that trend into his work, which is pretty intelligent.

Would be far worse if he was a showman, but could not draw for squat. Never saw a picture of Jim Steranko before. I guess I always left his work speak for him.
Thank you Chuck Moore.

(Have to use the last name, since we have so many Chuck's now).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2014 - 10:18 PM