Reply to this topicStart new topic
deviantART's Colorist Group, A club for Professional colorists
Tim Tilley
post Jan 16 2010, 10:45 AM
Post #21

Freelance Writer and Colorist!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,926

I've been told that the coloring for Killer Robots Love You is 'intermediate work'. Perhaps I should just start slacking and aim for beginner instead, this way I can save time coloring it each and every week.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ross Hughes
post Aug 4 2010, 10:06 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,898

Wow, I'm really behind on this topic, so forgive the big time bump. Bored at work, so exploring the forums some more. LOL

There is a certain amount of "elitism" that seems to be happening with this group and has been that way since it started. I had the same philosophical argument with them about what constitutes a "professional", and was glad to see that they at least got around to defining it even though I don't necessarily agree with it.

My biggest issue with this group is the arbitrary way they make their decisions. One of them wanted to reject my Phantom Of The Opera piece because it wasn't comics related. I ended up arguing the definition of "comics" and the merits of the piece before it got accepted. Then just a couple of days ago, I had my Joker piece get rejected because the person considered it to be an illustration not comics related. They even admitted that they were being nit-picky about it after I asked them to explain the difference to me. They said that by their definition, a comic is something where the lineart is the dominant part of the work, whereas an illustration is more like a painted cover and that my piece was walking the fine line between the two.

What gets me about this is that both pieces (and forgive me for tooting my own horn here) are extremely solid and you would think any colorist group would be happy for their inclusion, but it seems like the attitude of "I'm a fine art critic and I have the power" is going to some of those people's heads. I give up arguing with them, even though it's REALLY against my nature to do so. I'll just re-submit the Joker piece a little further down the road, and I'll bet you dollars to donuts that it gets accepted.

I spend my entire day arguing with Quality Assurance in my day job, and I tell them the same thing I expect out of any other organization. Give me your criteria, and then be consistent about it across the board. Don't tell me something is acceptable one day, and then have a different person tell me the next day that it's not. Nothing frustrates me more than that.

Little side story while I'm ranting: I actually had a QA tell me to change something on my paperwork one day because he it couldn't be worked the way it was written. I worked with him and agreed with him on exactly what needed to be written. The next day, a new QA was assigned to the project and he told me the NEW paperwork couldn't be worked the way it was written. Spent some time arguing about that, then once again came to an agreement on what needed to be changed. The next day, the original QA was back and, you guessed it, said the paperwork couldn't be worked as written. Both of them quoted the Operating Procedure and how they interpreted it, and even though I had helped write the operating procedure and explained the intent, they both took a different stance on it from me and each other. Anyone else think the Space Program is all glitz and glamor now??? Welcome to my world....

--------------------
Ross Hughes

Freelance Digital Colorist
Samples can be found here: My Gallery

E-mail me for rates and availability here:
Hughescoloring@comcast.net

Follow me on Twitter:
@hughescoloring

+Quote Post
Tim Tilley
post Aug 4 2010, 11:34 AM
Post #23

The main problem is that Nei Ruffino allowed her Boyfriend (blond) to take full control of the group and he's the one creating all the problems. He is very elitist and has an ego problem which gets in the way of professionalism. To them unless you get published by Marvel, DC, Image, Boom or IDW you are considered an amateur. Even if your work is top notch and better than what is seen in a Mainstream comic, they'll tell you it should be submitted to beginner or intermediate, never advance or professional.

+Quote Post
Ross Hughes
post Aug 4 2010, 01:12 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,898

Yeah, I've never been a fan of his attitude. He moved my Superman/Batman pic to Intermediate when it was submitted to Advanced. It was insulting for a little bit, but whatever, you can't please everyone. At least that was a decent reason. He didn't think it warranted being in the Advanced folder. I can get with that. Go back to the drawing board and try harder, that kind of thing.

The two pics I was talking about earlier were from two other people besides Blond, and their reasoning (or lack of it) just plain sucked.

If it weren't a good way to get more of my work seen, I wouldn't even bother with it. It's just a shame that the ones that could (and should) be helping colorists to become better are more interested in making themselves look important.

--------------------
Ross Hughes

Freelance Digital Colorist
Samples can be found here: My Gallery

E-mail me for rates and availability here:
Hughescoloring@comcast.net

Follow me on Twitter:
@hughescoloring

+Quote Post
Tim Tilley
post Aug 4 2010, 05:04 PM
Post #25

That's the biggest problem. They want to make themselves sound important because they are "professionals" and anyone not in their inner-circle are frowned upon. When instead we should be welcomed in, and given advice on how to improve. The days of mentoring are almost over. Thanks to Bill Nichols for Comics Mentor.

http://comicsmentor.com/

+Quote Post
Bill Nichols
post Aug 4 2010, 05:15 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,860

Awwwwww. you're welcome.

For me, I guess the idea is to help someone else if I can. I thnk if you take an elitist stance on the work or artistic level of others but give a pass on offering some sort of constructive criticism, you'll just be labeled an elitist jerk and people may just start passing you by...

Paying it forward when we can. That's the ticket.

This post has been edited by Bill Nichols: Aug 4 2010, 05:27 PM

--------------------
Inker and writer of comics
Editor of Sketch Magazine

Comics Mentorfor encouragement and advice in your comics creating
Bill NIchols YouTube Channel
Arteest, my webcomic

+Quote Post
Tim Tilley
post Aug 4 2010, 09:55 PM
Post #27

I always try to help people when I can and have the time to do so. I still owe a few CR members a coloring tutorial, I just haven't have the time to do so yet.
I think that some people need to let go of their attitudes and see the bigger picture, the more help you provide, the more comics that will be made in the future, which will keep the industry going.

+Quote Post
Tim Tilley
post Aug 4 2010, 09:55 PM
Post #28

I always try to help people when I can and have the time to do so. I still owe a few CR members a coloring tutorial, I just haven't have the time to do so yet.
I think that some people need to let go of their attitudes and see the bigger picture, the more help you provide, the more comics that will be made in the future, which will keep the industry going.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2014 - 05:41 AM