IPB
MORE @ RED HANDED STUDIOS: HOME ABOUT FALLEN JUSTICE GALLERY

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
It's a wrap!!!!, Fallen Justice is in the can.
Ross Hughes
post Jan 6 2010, 02:58 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,898

Well, I've just completed the last page to my first series. For those of you that have been following my work the last couple of years, you've no doubt seen PLENTY of pages from Fallen Justice, a seven issue mini-series from Red Handed Studios. Yes, I said "years" and "seven issues" in the same sentence. I know....but, hey, it's not as bad as it sounds. I actually left the book for a while and when I came crawling back to it, they still hadn't settled on a colorist so I was able to slide right back in. smile.gif

It was right around the end of 2006 when Cary Kelley (writer/creator/publisher/all-around good guy) asked me if I'd like to work on the book, and I thought it would be really cool. I had done a couple of commissions for people and been involved with Small Press Idol a couple of times, so I thought I was ready to start working on a full book. Turns out I wasn't really that ready, but Cary let me do the work anyway.

Harold Edge is an artist that should be getting a lot more praise and notoriety than he is. Right now, take some time to go check him out. I'll wait.......
Ok, you're back? Good. See what I mean? Tons of energy and his stuff just looks fun! His style is also extremely versatile, which is great because my colors were constantly evolving throughout the series, and pretty much everything I tried seemed to fit his style pretty well.

As I said, my colors were constantly evolving. Between breaks in working on Fallen Justice pages, I would take on other work or just do some practice pieces to try to learn new things and get better at my job. As a result, the colors in the first book will probably look drastically different from the colors in the 7th book. Sorry about that. smile.gif Hopefully, it will come across as a significant improvement that will keep you wanting more as you read the series. [hypnosis]@@@@@...and you will read the series...@@@@[/hypnosis]

I without a doubt had a blast working on this book. There was a lot of freedom in how I approached things and I'm really grateful for such a long leash. Color choices for a lot of the characters were left up to me and I received the biggest compliment ever when Cary decided to bring a throw-away character back in the Dynagirl series because he thought the character looked to cool to get rid of.

Anyone that knows me or that has interacted with me for more than five minutes will tell you that I'm pretty much always trying to get a laugh, and a little bit of that crept into my colors with the amount of Easter-eggs I tried to slip in to each issue. Even if it was something only Cary, Harold, or I would get, if it would get a chuckle from someone I'd stick it in there. From nods to current mainstream characters, to street signs, to pictures on TV's, I loved working some in-jokes into a very serious story.

I didn't want to finish up the Fallen Justice experience without handing out a few thank you's to people that helped me out along the way:

First and foremost, thank you to my lovely and patient wife, Misty for putting up with the long hours of coloring that cut into her tootsie-loving time. smile.gif I couldn't ask for anyone more supportive and understanding.

Thank you to Cary Kelley for allowing me to experiment with your story and characters. I truly appreciate the opportunity to work on this series and I was glad I was able to see it through to the end. This won't be the end for the Kelley/Hughes collaborations by any means.

Thank you to Harold Edge for creating some amazing artwork for me to cut my teeth on. I can't wait to see what we come up with next!!!!

Thank you to a lot of the colorists over at Gutterzombie who helped me out along the way. Your crits and comments were extremely valuable and educational and I genuinely appreciate all of the time you took to give them.

Now that the series is over, I plan on catching up on some commissions before moving on to the next job. What will that job be? Hell, I don't know. Your guess is as good as mine. Hopefully it's as rewarding as the previous one has been. In the meantime, look out for plenty of portfolio pieces that I've been stock-piling!!!! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ross Hughes: Jan 6 2010, 03:00 PM

--------------------
Ross Hughes

Freelance Digital Colorist
Samples can be found here: My Gallery

E-mail me for rates and availability here:
Hughescoloring@comcast.net

Follow me on Twitter:
@hughescoloring
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cary
post Jan 7 2010, 12:14 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,957

I gotta say, working with Ross has been such a great experience! We've had a great run sir and while I'm glad the series is done, I'm also more than a little sad to see it come to an end. But like you said, we're not done by any means. Thanks bro, for everything!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ross Hughes
post Jan 7 2010, 01:06 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,898

You know what I was just thinking about that might be fun. It would be cool if people went through their issue and posted the Easter Eggs they found in each issue. Just to see if they're REALLY paying attention. wink.gif

--------------------
Ross Hughes

Freelance Digital Colorist
Samples can be found here: My Gallery

E-mail me for rates and availability here:
Hughescoloring@comcast.net

Follow me on Twitter:
@hughescoloring

+Quote Post
ChadStrohl
post Jan 8 2010, 07:28 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,103

Congratulations on a job complete! That's always a nice feeling to get that sense of accomplishment.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th November 2014 - 11:25 PM