Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Good Night, Robert P.Parker
Ron Fortier
post Jan 22 2010, 12:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,427

Just wanted to jot down a few words about the passing of mystery writer, Robert P. Parker this past week. I'm melancholy to know we've lost a truly brilliant writer with a sense of genuine kindness. His work, be it the Spencer mysteries or westerns, or whatever, always centered around brave men and women doing the right things. A quiet, truly humble man, Parker dedicated everyone one of his books to his wife, to whom he was devoted. He had a poet's way with words and his prose was so smooth, it would ensnare and pull you in and before you knew it, the damn book was half over. He was one of those writers I studied, as I always wanted to write like that.

He died this week at the age of 77, in his Cambridge, Massachusetts home, in the middle of writing his newest book. He passed doing what he loved most. May we all be so blessed some day. Goodnight, Mr.Parker, rest well. And thanks so very, very much for all the great stories.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
C. William Russe...
post Aug 31 2011, 01:00 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,925

I watched the TV show Spenser for Hire as a teenager and loved the characters Spenser and Hawk. They were just bad. It was years before I even learned the show was based on books, longer still before I got my hands on one to read. What a masterful storyteller. He is the king of quick- witted, realistic dialogue. His characters practically breathe on the pages. Definately the high water mark for mysteries and a satisfying crime read. I had read a half dozen of his books, devoured really, and then I read that he passed.

Damn.

A real loss. Fortunately there is a mountain of great reading material! I am no where near through all his Spenser work. He definately put his mark on his genre.

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Aug 31 2011, 01:59 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,427

Which is the power of storytellers, CW. I doubt seriously Parker's Spencer books will ever go out of print and continue entertaining mystery fans for generations to come.

+Quote Post
cougar18
post Aug 31 2011, 04:50 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,981

RIP. Sad to hear of his passing, but in many respects it is almost romantic that he died doing what he loved. Like Alex Toth, or John Buscema dying at their drawing tables, he died at his work space.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th September 2014 - 05:31 AM