IPB
MORE @ COMIC RELATED: NEWS COLUMNS REVIEWS PODCASTS BLOGS

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Wizard buys Mid-Ohio-Con?, Wizard buys Mid-Ohio-Con?
Mutant_Cactus
post Nov 7 2010, 10:20 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,248

http://www.wizardworld.com/midohio.html

Any thoughts going around out there? What's everyone's take on the Galactus of Comic Con owners taking over our beloved MOC?

--------------------
Like us on fb @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mutant-Cactu...ets/67050796088
Follow us on twitter @Mutant_Cactus

Mutant Cactus started in 2008. Fueled by a passion for pop culture and an undying love for all things comic book and cartoon related (especially the stuff from the 80's). With unique designs and a flair for fun, Mutant Cactus comes to you with awesome hand made buttons, magnets, key chains, ear rings and hair clips. It is MC's plan to make the word "radical," once again, part of your daily vernacular.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mutant_Cactus
post Nov 7 2010, 10:22 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Also I find this odd that this is on the Wizard World site but not the Wizard Universe site. Looks like somebody jumped the gun here on an early announcement.

--------------------

Mutant Cactus started in 2008. Fueled by a passion for pop culture and an undying love for all things comic book and cartoon related (especially the stuff from the 80's). With unique designs and a flair for fun, Mutant Cactus comes to you with awesome hand made buttons, magnets, key chains, ear rings and hair clips. It is MC's plan to make the word "radical," once again, part of your daily vernacular.

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Nov 7 2010, 10:56 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 589

I actually heard about this a while back, but couldn't say anything. I think it sucks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MasonEasley
post Nov 8 2010, 06:20 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,679

The con will be a lot bigger. The question is will the city of Columbus be able to handle such a large con. The parking around the convention center is already atrocious. Also despite the show being popular, it never reached the levels of a larger city con for various reason. So the jump in ticket prices, and table prices could backfire big time. But who knows? Maybe if the publishers show up it could pull in a larger crowd.

For independents, the table fees alone are going to kill us. At the old rates, I could usually break even or end up in the black. With my studio sharing the costs, I could really wind up in the black. However, if the fees are the usual Wizard table fees, there's just no way I could justify it, unless I know the crowd is going to be at a ridiculously high level.

We shall see...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Nov 8 2010, 06:38 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 589

You bring up some of the points I meant by "it sucks". heh. Table and booth prices will sky rocket, there will be more and more D level celebrities, and being in October I can almost guarantee you won't see the big name publishers there seeing how NYCC is only a couple of weeks prior, so that doesn't really factor in at all, meaning the crowds won't increase and I personally think they may decrease. But I guess only time will tell and we'll see come next year.

I wish I could have gone to the last Mid-Ohio-Con before Wizard took it over.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dave Arhar
post Nov 8 2010, 07:47 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,478

I don't remember the exact amount, but I was talking with one of the comic dealers, and the numbers that he gave me for their tables next year alone were pretty unbelievable. As far as I know, that information's already out there.

Might as well pack for San Diego.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lainey
post Nov 8 2010, 07:51 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,166

The link is gone which explains why I couldn't find any information to back up the rumors we were all hearing while at the Con. I personally think it's sad. We've only been doing MOC for the past 2 years but its the still-affordable big spectacle con I look forward to at the end of the year. It won't be any longer if prices sky rocket.

+Quote Post
Lainey
post Nov 8 2010, 07:56 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,166

i just found this ... http://www.wizardworld.com/midohio1day.html ... it states $25 advance price ... $5 cheaper than door price ... twice as much as previous years.

This post has been edited by Lainey: Nov 8 2010, 07:59 AM

+Quote Post
MasonEasley
post Nov 8 2010, 08:13 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,679

Nice.... I can only imagine the table prices going up too. If that's the case, I'm toast.

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Nov 8 2010, 08:29 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 2,660

Personally I've lost interest in this con since Roger sold it to the Henry brothers a few years back. I attended their first show, which wasn't bad (seeing how Roger already had that year's show pretty much put together when he sold it) but they didn't impress me enough to make me want to come back while they were running it. And I have not done so for the last couple of years and feel I haven't missed anything of any great importance.

I did get the impression that they were interested in only operating it with as little investment as possible (the last two year's guest list proves that) until they could dump it for more cash....guess I was right on that call.

Mid-Ohio is dead to me now...it was on life support and in critical condition before I heard this news, and completely brain dead...not it's ready for the toe tag.

Unfortunately it's a dead show in many ways....as Wizard's involvement will see more entertainment aspects such as actors and (wrestlers...)...less main stream stars and even less of an indie pull.

The days of hearing "Sketch Battle!"at Mid-Ohio is over. Their first move, moving the con back into October....again...is already an attempt to compete with other regional cons during the same time period.

I give it three years, top...and this con is just no more as Wizard drives it completely into the ground and milks it for all it's worth while draining any life still left in it.

Rest in peace Mid-Ohio, you had a great 26 year run under your original owner...God, Roger do I miss you!

This post has been edited by G-Man: Nov 8 2010, 08:38 AM

--------------------
"Reality is only for those who lack imagination" don't know who first said that....but it works for me!

+Quote Post
Tyler James
post Nov 8 2010, 08:41 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,029

The recent Wizard World Boston show was an absolute trainwreck...I had a bad feeling about it going in, and so I skipped it (and the $300 artist alley table fee, which was $250 more than the show charged before Wizard took it over.)

I haven't heard a single vendor or artist who did the show say a good thing about it. Sorry to hear MOC may share the same fate.

I have heard, however, the Wizards Philly and Chicago shows were solid this year, so maybe Ohio will luck out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Nov 8 2010, 08:44 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 2,660

I haven't heard anything good about this year's Chicago show. Heard Philly was okay.

--------------------
"Reality is only for those who lack imagination" don't know who first said that....but it works for me!

+Quote Post
Mutant_Cactus
post Nov 8 2010, 09:22 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

I'm extremely concerned. I'm trying to remain as optimistic as possible but I do not think that Central Ohio can handle the prices. Sure there may be a big turnout but once everyone pays to get in the door there goes their spending cash meaning less profit for us. I predict that 2012 will see MOC, probably renamed the Wizard Ohio Con, will move to Cincinnati or Cleveland.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ScottDMSimmons
post Nov 8 2010, 09:24 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,810

Mid-Ohio is such a sentimental favorite, and I've also been lucky to be invited the last few years and get a booth (even though I had to be doubled-up this year at the last minute). I started going to the show in the early 90's, to go see John Byrne, Chris Sprouse, Louise Simonson, and Roger Stern. My first commission sketches I ever got were by Chris, and my first original comic art was from Byrne, both purchased at Mid-Ohio. My first portfolio review was at Mid-Ohio too, by Paul Kupperberg if I recall correctly. I first met my friend Paul Storrie in person at this show, had the pleasure of meeting Noel Neill and Sergio Aragones years back, and it's great to see David Mack and Bob McLeod year after year (they are two of the first artists I ever met). It's also where I know I will see Chris and Xan Sprouse, who have started becoming my friends the past year or so (I usually see them at a couple of other events too) and it's always fun seeing Sean McKeever too. I have great memories of 2008, my first year with a booth, and experiencing the excitement of promoting Wannabez alongside Brant Fowler, with help from Jonna LeMieux dressed as Mau. And it was awesome seeing my friend Mark LeMieux and my new friend Katie Cook getting tables for the first time this year.

I love the owners and partners of the show and have nice time talking with them. I was surprised by the sale to Wizard when I first heard about it. I will admit that I am afraid I won't be invited back next year, just because I don't know how Wizard will be with local/regional talent (despite my Star Wars/ Image/ upcoming Arcana credits), but I guess I won't know until the time comes for invites and registration. It's been great having a booth these past few years, but I certainly wouldn't be able to afford paying for one, and the creators' tables in the back will certainly be going up (currently they are around my budget). I am glad I got to go to this year's show, and experience it one more time before it changed hands.

To make sure I was there, I made a few changes this year in my trip which made the overall experience cheaper for me (one hotel night, different hotel with lots of extras, etc) and also a nice time for me and Shannon to spend in one of our favorite cities during the evenings. This became the nicest Mid-Ohio trip for us, that was fun individually during the day (I did the show; she hit the local food market, went shopping at Easton, and ate Vietnamese food), and romantic at night, eating at restaurants and lounging around. The Drury Inn was pretty awesome with its "free" extras (breakfast and dinnertime food and snacks) that the Hyatt doesn't have. She was rather bummed about the likelihood we wouldn't be back next year (unless I get invited... or can afford a table). Even though she doesn't come to the show but for an hour or two, she knows how much it means to me, and it (especially this year) became a fun weekend getaway trip for us as a couple. It's true that Columbus isn't far for us to travel to, but it's nice to peg a weekend around an event that's pretty fun, exciting, and makes us some money to spend around town.

Scott

This post has been edited by ScottDMSimmons: Nov 8 2010, 09:36 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mutant_Cactus
post Nov 8 2010, 09:36 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

The whole MC team is located here in Columbus. Potentially losing MOC to Cleveland or Cincinnati is potentially sad news for local businesses. Especially for my fellow Columbus creators who wull not be able to afford Wizard's prices plus hotel/travel expenses.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bob Corby
post Nov 8 2010, 10:20 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,645

Being one of the longest running small press exhibitors at Mid-Ohio (22 years) I checked out what an artist alley table would be. Their application states it will be $200.00 for an 8'-0" table. Thats a jump from $125.00 I paid this year.

+Quote Post
Mutant_Cactus
post Nov 8 2010, 10:37 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

That is actually not too bad of an increase. I personally HATE the 6 foot tables at MOC. It's just not enough space in my opinion. Hopefully it is no more than that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Decapitated_Dan
post Nov 8 2010, 03:13 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,983

QUOTE (G-Man @ Nov 8 2010, 08:44 AM) *
I haven't heard anything good about this year's Chicago show. Heard Philly was okay.

WHAT! We had Blago, and horrible sales, and my truck broke down on the way there, and I left after 4 hours. It was awesome!!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tim Tilley
post Nov 9 2010, 09:42 AM
Post #19

Freelance Writer and Colorist!

Member No.: 2,926

much like Brant, I too wish that I could have gone to the last Mid-Ohio-Con before Wizard took it over the show but much like Bill (G) I also consider the show to be dead. It wasn't and hasn't been the same since Roger sold it. I understand why he sold it but since then, things just haven't been the same. It seems less personal for some reason. i remember years ago, it was like visiting with close family members every year. Now, it's become something else... and once Wizard takes over, it'll be officially over, the final nail in the coffin. Goodbye MOC, may you RIP.

+Quote Post
Kenn Minter
post Nov 9 2010, 12:34 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,334

That's sad to hear. Truth be told, I won't even bother getting a table at a show if it's over $60.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 02:55 PM