Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
"fixing" Pencils, When to change or stay true to pencils
Vicmoya
post Nov 18 2010, 07:11 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,639

At what point do you decide to fix something on a pencilled page.

I'm not talking about fixing anatomy like losing the accidental 6th finger that was drawn. I'm talking about something that is completely throwing the panel or page off.

I usually run into this when it comes to perspective. A lot of the times a penciller will fake it out and not draw a grid or guidelines. Well this works in the layout stage but once the inksare laid down, that's when you really start to notice that something is off..

If it's minor I will just fix it. If it is really wonky I will hit up the editor or project manager to see how they would like to tackle it. It really surprises me how often I am told to just leave it and ink what is there.

I was just wondering if any of you other inkers out there have run into this and if so, how do you handle it?

Vic

--------------------
Vic Moya
http://vicmoyainks.blogspot.com/
moyavic@gmail.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jarrett Arthur
post Nov 18 2010, 10:32 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 19,624

QUOTE (Vicmoya @ Nov 18 2010, 08:11 PM) *
At what point do you decide to fix something on a pencilled page.

I'm not talking about fixing anatomy like losing the accidental 6th finger that was drawn. I'm talking about something that is completely throwing the panel or page off.

I usually run into this when it comes to perspective. A lot of the times a penciller will fake it out and not draw a grid or guidelines. Well this works in the layout stage but once the inksare laid down, that's when you really start to notice that something is off..

If it's minor I will just fix it. If it is really wonky I will hit up the editor or project manager to see how they would like to tackle it. It really surprises me how often I am told to just leave it and ink what is there.

I was just wondering if any of you other inkers out there have run into this and if so, how do you handle it?

Vic

Depends on the artist. Know who's art you are working on and how they would feel. TOP recommendation: whatever it takes to make it look good.

--------------------
Jarrett Arthur[font="Impact"][/font][size="7"][/size][color="#FF0000"][/color]

+Quote Post
LurkD
post Nov 19 2010, 06:01 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14,148

For me personally, I can usually come pretty close with perspective by eye, so I will just lay out a panel or page and then get out a ruler to maker certain all my angles and such line up with my vanishing points.

That said, it's a good rule of thumb as an inker to get the ruler out if something looks wonky, and if the perspective doesn't line up, call the editor/penciller and ask if it should or not, and then make any approved changes from there. But don't make any changes that are not fully approved by the highest appropriate authority.

Hope this helps.

+Quote Post
Vicmoya
post Nov 24 2010, 12:43 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 19,639

Thanks guys. I stay pretty true to the prncils. I figure the powers that be paid for the pencillers talent and style, so that's whatI want to give them, The pencillers vision. It's just sometimes the city scape looks like Tim Burton drew it but it's supposed to look real. Then I just look at it and say, really? In the end I do what the editor or project manager says. But i've been pretty lucky and worked with some very talented pencillers and don't really have to "fix" anything.

--------------------
Vic Moya
http://vicmoyainks.blogspot.com/
moyavic@gmail.com

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 05:08 PM