Meet the Nerd Girls
doombug
post Dec 19 2010, 02:29 PM
Post #21

Eric Ratcliffe

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,668

QUOTE (Spaced4SimonPegg @ Dec 19 2010, 10:09 AM) *
I love Hack/Slash Cassie Hack is my hero. She is my favorite female comic book character.

Sounds awesome there is a ton of stuff I could nerd out over biggrin.gif

She may be a heavily flawed character but in my mind, Cassie is probably one of the most realistically portrayed women in comics, I believe I brought that up with Tim before too. It's not like you can call her a role model but you sure as hell can identify with her. I think both male and female readers, especially younger can identify with her feelings of isolation, exploration of sexuality and just everything about the character. I love the book the character and her supporting cast.

I'm glad I get to call Tim a friend too as Saphire can attest to my panel hosting lameness. tongue.gif

Whenever Tim's free to hop on the podcast spaced, I'll let you know so you can either get a few questions set up or co host with me. lol

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
doombug
post Dec 19 2010, 02:31 PM
Post #22

Eric Ratcliffe

QUOTE (SapphireGypsy @ Dec 19 2010, 11:08 AM) *
If I'd thought about it I'd have recorded it with my phone. We'd just gotten iPhones about then and I STILL forget that I can do things like record video on it. biggrin.gif

Heck I'm only just now getting use to the idea that my I can take pictures that don't look like complete crap with it. biggrin.gif

See now you're back on my bad side...because you have the iphone 4! laugh.gif

Seriously though, I just was bummed because I thought it was a very informative and fun people, even if 85 percent of the audience was very quiet and I was Chris farley like with my questions. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SapphireGypsy
post Dec 19 2010, 04:37 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,556

It was a fun panel. Tim and Dan are both funny guys. I personally want to see that intro that Tim was talking about. You did a fine job. I'm not sure I could have done better. wink.gif I think most people were so quiet because it's that effect that "celebrities" have. The first couple of times you meet then it's like your brain completely shuts off and you forget how to behave like a human.

I had that problem myself when Dave Chappelle came in where I use to work. I couldn't think except that I should probably be doing something work like and so I kept asking him the same question. The next time I saw him I was able to function. Also, he thought that I was dressed as a Vulcan for Halloween at work was "Way cool." tongue.gif

I'm honestly surprised that Time and Dan didn't snap at me and tell me to go away. The other half was doing "work" stuff and there was only so many places to wander before you ran out of places to go and I often found myself hanging out in front of their table just chatting with them. I think when they see me at events in the future they're gonna call security. biggrin.gif

I wouldn't have a 4 if it weren't for my other half being such a tech guy. I may not get flowers on a regular basis (read: twice in seven years) but I never want to tech toys. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
doombug
post Dec 19 2010, 04:49 PM
Post #24

Eric Ratcliffe

I was like that first time meeting Claudio sanchez, it was so awkward.

The ghost hunters guys came in to my work one day for lunch and all I could muster was "love the show" this was like 4-5 years ago mind you so I'm much better around celebrities now. tongue.gif

Tim I was never awkward around, the man called me a badass MFer one time so he's always been nothing but comfortable to talk to.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SapphireGypsy
post Dec 19 2010, 04:57 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Yeah Tim didn't really cause that same "Oh my god" response in my brain. I blamed the fact that the first time we talked I'd only just started reading Hack/Slash so he was just kind of a cool guy who we were talking to. Now the girl who was with me, she was STILL like tripping over her words with him. I looked at her and said "You spent an hour talking to him the other day, but because he wasn't actually in front of you you're freaking out?

We'll see how I do with bigger celebs. I'd LOVE to get Simon Pegg on our show, just to give Spaced a heart attack and listen to her try to squeeze herself through the internet at him. biggrin.gif

I got a resounding no when I sent a message to his representation recently. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
comiczombi
post Dec 19 2010, 05:09 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 19,665

You can try getting Marjorie Liu, Joshua Howard (Dead @ 17), or Gail Simone.

--------------------

+Quote Post
doombug
post Dec 19 2010, 08:21 PM
Post #27

Eric Ratcliffe

QUOTE (SapphireGypsy @ Dec 19 2010, 05:57 PM) *
Yeah Tim didn't really cause that same "Oh my god" response in my brain. I blamed the fact that the first time we talked I'd only just started reading Hack/Slash so he was just kind of a cool guy who we were talking to. Now the girl who was with me, she was STILL like tripping over her words with him. I looked at her and said "You spent an hour talking to him the other day, but because he wasn't actually in front of you you're freaking out?

We'll see how I do with bigger celebs. I'd LOVE to get Simon Pegg on our show, just to give Spaced a heart attack and listen to her try to squeeze herself through the internet at him. biggrin.gif

I got a resounding no when I sent a message to his representation recently. sad.gif

don't feel bad, i got rejected by bruce campbell personally. tongue.gif

i'd love to get some of the community cast like donald glover/joel and alison brie lol

--------------------

+Quote Post
SapphireGypsy
post Dec 19 2010, 08:28 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Aw... Bruce seemed like such a nice guy. sad.gif I love Community. biggrin.gif

I'm hoping once we get a few more than 3 shows out there we'll have a little more leverage. I'm sure they checked out the link to the show I sent and went "Pfft, 3 shows! Who does this girl think she's kidding?"

--------------------

+Quote Post
doombug
post Dec 19 2010, 09:10 PM
Post #29

Eric Ratcliffe

QUOTE (SapphireGypsy @ Dec 19 2010, 09:28 PM) *
Aw... Bruce seemed like such a nice guy. sad.gif I love Community. biggrin.gif

I'm hoping once we get a few more than 3 shows out there we'll have a little more leverage. I'm sure they checked out the link to the show I sent and went "Pfft, 3 shows! Who does this girl think she's kidding?"

I can inadvertently introduce you to some people but I think most of them have already been many of our podcasts.

Bruce is a sweet guy, he just didn't have the time to do the interview. I'll convince him one of these days. I have a dream list. lol

Oh and not to sound like it's a niche thing but the Gail Simone/Marjorie Liou idea was brilliant, it's a nerd girl show...why not have nerd girl guests right?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gordon_D
post Dec 20 2010, 10:06 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,467

May I just interrupt this conversation to say....

After listening to the first two episodes (with # 3 uploaded onto my phone) - I am really digging this podcast. Great talk, good views, and quite frankly, a heckuva lot of fun.

Good work, and thanks for the great listening,
Gordon

--------------------
Tipping Sacred Cows since 2004 at http://www.blogthispal.com
More stuff can be found at http://www.gordondymowski.com

+Quote Post
Spaced4SimonPegg
post Dec 20 2010, 07:48 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,582

QUOTE (Gordon_D @ Dec 20 2010, 11:06 AM) *
May I just interrupt this conversation to say....

After listening to the first two episodes (with # 3 uploaded onto my phone) - I am really digging this podcast. Great talk, good views, and quite frankly, a heckuva lot of fun.

Good work, and thanks for the great listening,
Gordon

No interruption at all biggrin.gif Thanks so much for taking the time to listen we really appreciate it. I am glad you are liking the podcast we have fun doing it and i think it shows. Episode 3 is our gift giving guide and you can hear me get confused when I read Green Lantern: Rebirth..lol and geek out over Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SapphireGypsy
post Dec 20 2010, 10:02 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

I'm looking froward to episode 4 really. I can't wait for you guys to hear all the fun we have planned. biggrin.gif

I'm glad you're enjoying the show. I know we be a lot of fun and I think it really shows.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cary
post Dec 21 2010, 07:58 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,957

I haven't had a chance to check the new show yet but if Rebirth is your intro to Green Lantern and Hal Jordan you're getting robbed. I'll be the last person in the world to put Hal up as a paragon of heroism, and in fact I'm on record as saying I've seen cardboard boxes with more personality, but if really want to get to know Hal you gotta go back a bit. Get hold of some of the GL/GA stuff by Neal Adams. DC has reprints of a lot of that stuff and it's pure gold IMO. Johns and Van Sciver are a solid team but I think they rely too much on people already knowing who the character is.

--------------------

+Quote Post
comiczombi
post Dec 21 2010, 04:05 PM
Post #34

QUOTE (SapphireGypsy @ Dec 20 2010, 08:02 PM) *
I'm looking froward to episode 4 really. I can't wait for you guys to hear all the fun we have planned. biggrin.gif

I'm glad you're enjoying the show. I know we be a lot of fun and I think it really shows.

I'm looking forward to it also. Everything that all of you come with, I've been entertained by. I'm ready for episode 4!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spaced4SimonPegg
post Dec 21 2010, 08:46 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cary @ Dec 21 2010, 08:58 AM) *
I haven't had a chance to check the new show yet but if Rebirth is your intro to Green Lantern and Hal Jordan you're getting robbed. I'll be the last person in the world to put Hal up as a paragon of heroism, and in fact I'm on record as saying I've seen cardboard boxes with more personality, but if really want to get to know Hal you gotta go back a bit. Get hold of some of the GL/GA stuff by Neal Adams. DC has reprints of a lot of that stuff and it's pure gold IMO. Johns and Van Sciver are a solid team but I think they rely too much on people already knowing who the character is.

Thanks I am very interested in reading things before Rebirth smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
comiczombi
post Dec 22 2010, 02:42 AM
Post #36

QUOTE (Spaced4SimonPegg @ Dec 21 2010, 06:46 PM) *

If you want to read things just on Green Arrow I would suggest Quiver TPB, and then Sounds of Violence TPB after that. You want to read about Green Arrow/Black Canary relationship, I suggest The Wedding Album TPB and then Family Business TPB.

There is always in his new series Brightest Day Green Arrow tie-in.

This post has been edited by comiczombi: Dec 22 2010, 02:51 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gordon_D
post Dec 22 2010, 06:37 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Spaced4SimonPegg @ Dec 21 2010, 08:46 PM) *

Let me second Cary's recommendation of the O'Neill/Adams GL/GA run - they may seem dated to your eyes, but that is some of the best, most cutting-edge comic writing ever written.

And some darn good storytelling as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cary
post Dec 22 2010, 06:56 AM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,957

QUOTE (Gordon_D @ Dec 22 2010, 07:37 AM) *

Let me second Cary's recommendation of the O'Neill/Adams GL/GA run - they may seem dated to your eyes, but that is some of the best, most cutting-edge comic writing ever written.

And some darn good storytelling as well.

Gordon, as I was posting earlier I had a sudden thought...the O'neal/Adams run was almost 40 YEARS ago! Can you believe that? I think it says a lot about just how strong that material was, and is, that it holds up so well across that span of time. O'neal had a hand in training or heavily influencing many of the writers in comics today, and Adams...that's a freaking sequential Jedi Master right there. I still hunt back issue bins looking for the GL/GA run and his Batman stuff. Can't get enough!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gordon_D
post Dec 23 2010, 09:06 AM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cary @ Dec 22 2010, 06:56 AM) *
Gordon, as I was posting earlier I had a sudden thought...the O'neal/Adams run was almost 40 YEARS ago! Can you believe that? I think it says a lot about just how strong that material was, and is, that it holds up so well across that span of time. O'neal had a hand in training or heavily influencing many of the writers in comics today, and Adams...that's a freaking sequential Jedi Master right there. I still hunt back issue bins looking for the GL/GA run and his Batman stuff. Can't get enough!

And I had recently caught two trades collecting the GL/GA run at a friend's comic shop...curse unemployment and lack of available funds! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spaced4SimonPegg
post Dec 23 2010, 12:14 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

QUOTE (doombug @ Dec 19 2010, 03:29 PM) *
Whenever Tim's free to hop on the podcast spaced, I'll let you know so you can either get a few questions set up or co host with me. lol

I am always down for that biggrin.gif Seeley knows of my love for Cassie. I asked him if he could send me trailers #2 signed and he did...ahhhh the power of a good stalk laugh.gif

QUOTE (SapphireGypsy @ Dec 19 2010, 05:57 PM) *

The internet could not hold the size of my atomic bomb geek out I would have if I got to speak with him..and/or..touch him mellow.gif

QUOTE (Gordon_D @ Dec 23 2010, 10:06 AM) *
And I had recently caught two trades collecting the GL/GA run at a friend's comic shop...curse unemployment and lack of available funds! smile.gif

My comic shop is small so he doesn't care a lot of older titles dry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 02:56 PM