Reply to this topicStart new topic
Firefly
Gonzogoose
post Jan 3 2011, 09:18 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 589

While I had seen the film, Serenity, I never caught the series... until now. And actually, that's not even entirely true, because as I was watching the pilot episode via Netflix I realized I must have seen all or most of that episode before at some point as everything was very familiar.

Anyway, over the weekend I watched 10 of the 14 episodes of the series and can totally understand why everyone loved it, and I can certainly see the same Whedon tone from Buffy and Dollhouse.

Learning there were only 14 episodes, I definitely agree that they didn't give this show enough of a chance, especially with how good it was. Each episode has it's own singular plot, but there are these threads interwoven through them all that paints a bigger picture. It's brilliantly executed and of course all the actors are great, some of course reappearing in other Whedon series like Dollhouse.

From the impending threat of the never seen Reavers (so far for me, though I recall them in the movie), to the many seedy people Mal does business/crosses paths with, to the Alliance and the "two by two, hands of blue" guys hunting River, there is so much going on, but it's never overly busy or convoluted. There's a ton of mystery and suspense, but just as much humor, action and relationship building to balance it all out.

I'd love to see another movie, though it's been so long I don't recall what happened in Serenity. I plan on rewatching that after I finish the remaining four episodes of the series. But if it left room for more stories I'd love to see it revisited at some point, I don't care what format.

I honestly think this series, and of course many before it, paved the way for BSG in a way. Sure, BSG was a totally different beast, but with the budget Firefly had and some of the boundaries they pushed, even if they were more subtle, I think it opened the door for a more serious show like BSG. Going back, in shows like Star Trek, there were a lot of themes and stuff played with there, but it was a softer show. Firefly bridges the gap between shows like that and BSG I feel.

Then of course there's the western feel to it. I'm not a big western guy, but setting it in space adds enough to it for me to accept it. It makes sense, and it's nothing new, that because they terraformed other planets it reverted back to a settler mindset, hence the western aspect of it I guess.

Regardless, I'm just really enjoying the show for the first time and wanted to say so. smile.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Jan 3 2011, 12:54 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,427

Like you Brant, I'd caught one or two episodes of the show on TV then it was gone. So a year later I buy the SERENITY DVD, watch it and love it. Enough to go out and buy the FIREFLY boxed set. I watched it start to finish, then re-watched the movie. And came away happy I'd done so...and wishing they would do another film. Sigh. You know there was a comic series or more. Never seen those and have no clue if they are decent or not.

+Quote Post
Zodar
post Jan 4 2011, 10:04 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,781

More than just not giving it a chance, it was sabotaged. If you've got the DVD set it shows you the original air dates of the episodes that did air... and they are out of order. The pilot was the LAST thing to be shown, and other episodes were shuffled a little, totally ruining the over-arching feel of the story.

I was a fan from the beginning, having caught every episode that aired until they started changing the days and times at the last minute. Seriously, how do they expect people to watch something when you can't find it?

It's obviously still a sore spot.

--------------------
Not the droid you are looking for.

+Quote Post
Zodar
post Jan 4 2011, 10:07 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,781

QUOTE (Ron Fortier @ Jan 3 2011, 02:54 PM) *
You know there was a comic series or more. Never seen those and have no clue if they are decent or not.

I've thoroughly enjoyed all the comics except for the Wash one-shot. I wanted to love it since I'm such a fan of Wash, but didn't like how they chose to tell it. On the other hand, the Shepherd Book graphic novel used an atypical storytelling technique and it worked for me.

This post has been edited by Zodar: Jan 4 2011, 10:07 AM

--------------------
Not the droid you are looking for.

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Jan 4 2011, 10:17 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Zodar @ Jan 4 2011, 11:04 AM) *
More than just not giving it a chance, it was sabotaged. If you've got the DVD set it shows you the original air dates of the episodes that did air... and they are out of order. The pilot was the LAST thing to be shown, and other episodes were shuffled a little, totally ruining the over-arching feel of the story.

I was a fan from the beginning, having caught every episode that aired until they started changing the days and times at the last minute. Seriously, how do they expect people to watch something when you can't find it?

It's obviously still a sore spot.

Wow, had no clue. That sucks. Why would they do that? Why even greenlight a show if you're going to screw it up that bad? That's ridiculous.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ross Hughes
post Jan 4 2011, 10:57 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,898

Fox basically had no faith in the show. Which was so weird since they were basically known at that point as a fledgling network that gave their shows time to grow. Married With Children wasn't great the first couple of seasons. (It was decent though) Fox stuck with it and let it find it's stride and it became one of the all-time great sitcoms. They just dropped the ball on Firefly.

I remember watching every episode when it aired. I loved every minute of it. When it didn't come back, I was shocked. I couldn't believe they canceled it. I'm a sucker for anything Fillion so I've been watching Castle with my wife. The Halloween episode (last year, I think) where he popped out dressed as Mal was one of my favorite moments on that show.

Serenity was a great movie too. Solid enough to stand on it's own without having watched the show, and enough tie-ins to somewhat wrap up what was left hanging for those that did watch. Give me more of that universe!

--------------------
Ross Hughes

Freelance Digital Colorist
Samples can be found here: My Gallery

E-mail me for rates and availability here:
Hughescoloring@comcast.net

Follow me on Twitter:
@hughescoloring

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Jan 8 2011, 08:14 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Finally finished Firefly and rewatched Serenity as well.

The last couple episodes weren't the strongest of the series, but at least they ended it in a way that felt kind of like an ending with Inara leaving and the acceptance of River.

The movie, like Ross said, could stand on its own, but was much more meaningful having watched the series. That said, there were some holes between the series and movie that I obviously hadn't caught before watching the series.

First, in the series, Simon had to learn about the Alliance cutting on River's brain, and it was a shock to him that she was a reader. Yet in the opening scenes of the movie we learned he knew all this when he rescued her. So either he was being coy in the series, or someone goofed.

Second, during the course of the series they were on Serenity for months if I recall correctly, but maybe I'm wrong. Yet in the movie Shepherd Book is off the ship and has set up a community of people that are the crew's friends. Yet Mal makes mention to Simon that Simon and River have only been on the ship for 8 months. Possibly inconsistency there.

Most everything else was solid, though. I liked how they referred back to a previous conversation between Mal and Book where Book wasn't giving up info on his past. But at the same time, I would have liked to have learned more about Book as he obviously was much more than he seemed.

Regardless, great series and movie, and I too would like to see more in that universe.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 05:27 PM