X-Men: First Class, Matthew Vaughan cast
doombug
post Jan 19 2011, 05:47 PM
Post #21

Eric Ratcliffe

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,668

QUOTE (Gonzogoose @ Jan 19 2011, 04:06 PM) *
Regardless if it's real or not, which looking closely I really do see the Photoshopiness of it, it is these actors, so while the costumes and makeup may not be accurate, it's still an uncanny (pun intended) depiction of what we're likely to see.

And Eric, while I admit Stardust was good, I don't see that comparison to The Princess Bride. Not saying one is better than the other, I just don't see that comparison at all personally. Maybe I'm alone on that.

Tone, storytelling and performance wise it's similar to the princess bride in my honest opinion. I think it was "the princess bride" of the last decade. (I know Hathaway was in that Ella Enchanted movie but I see Stardust more of an equal to Bride then that)

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Jan 19 2011, 05:49 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 2,660

Stardust rocked...I liked it much better than Princess Bride.....but that was good movie too....I've just seen it one time too many.

--------------------
"Reality is only for those who lack imagination" don't know who first said that....but it works for me!

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Jan 19 2011, 05:53 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 589

Couldn't disagree more, Eric, I don't think the tone, storytelling or performance were anything alike between the two films personally.

Anyway, as far as Emma Frost goes, I have to disagree, Bill, I feel like there have been some strong character moments for her through recent years. I don't view her as a poor man's Jean Grey as much as a rich man's Jean Grey. Sure, they always dress her too provocative, and I'm sure that tracks well with the fanboys, but looking past that I do think, when written correctly, she is an interesting character. And I actually like the dynamic with her and Scott. Makes him visible, far more so than any other time in his presence in comics in my opinion.

All that said, we all know this isn't the X-Men first class we'd prefer to see. When we think of the first class, even in the First Class comic, it's Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Iceman and Angel. But the X-Men movies threw all that astray bringing Iceman and Angel in at the stages they did. Though I really do wonder why Havok is here and not Scott. That, to me, makes no sense.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_cougar18_*
post Jan 19 2011, 06:42 PM
Post #24

Guests

More images from the film. Nicholas Hoult does not have the Beast makeup, and Xavier has hair.

X-Men First Class

+Quote Post
doombug
post Jan 19 2011, 07:04 PM
Post #25

Eric Ratcliffe

Member No.: 2,668

QUOTE (cougar18 @ Jan 19 2011, 07:42 PM) *
More images from the film. Nicholas Hoult does not have the Beast makeup, and Xavier has hair.

X-Men First Class

Looking at those, it looks like a completely different movie.

The image in the first post is definitely fan made.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Decapitated_Dan
post Jan 20 2011, 08:21 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,983

QUOTE (cougar18 @ Jan 19 2011, 06:42 PM) *

X-Men First Class

What are the chances we can see Rose Byrne in that White Queen outfit. OW OW!!

No on a serious note, a lack of interest in the characters is what will make me pass on this one. It was bad enough I didn't like the original X-Men movies because of the lack of Iceman and then the way he was down played. But that's my own bias. I seem to find fault in almost too much.

Now here is my question. How far back will this be taking place? I mean if were to think that Nightcrawler hasn't been conceived yet, then that put us back what 25-30 years based on his apparent age in X-2?

Question 2 is if the White Queen was in Wolverine, then how far into the future does this take place after that?

While I get the idea, I don't see the market appeal to use a cast that very very few outside of the Comic Scene may have even heard of. Hell I don't even know who Nightcrawler's dad is.

And using Havok, which I like as a Havok fan, seems odd, because back to the Nightcrawler point, if Scott were to be the same age as NC, then we can expect Scott to not exist yet either. Right?

--------------------

+Quote Post
SapphireGypsy
post Jan 20 2011, 09:13 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,556

QUOTE (Decapitated_Dan @ Jan 20 2011, 08:21 AM) *
Question 2 is if the White Queen was in Wolverine, then how far into the future does this take place after that?

It's a messed up time line. Because Emma was a teenager in Wolverine and this is supposed ti take place in the 60's? Emma's magic. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_cougar18_*
post Jan 20 2011, 10:43 AM
Post #28

Guests

QUOTE (SapphireGypsy @ Jan 20 2011, 07:13 AM) *
It's a messed up time line. Because Emma was a teenager in Wolverine and this is supposed ti take place in the 60's? Emma's magic. wink.gif

More images.

And the teaser poster.

Healthy debate and discussion welcomed.

+Quote Post
Decapitated_Dan
post Jan 20 2011, 10:49 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,983

Now I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS!

Why would Magneto wear the helmet prior to not wanting Charles in his mind?

--------------------

+Quote Post
SapphireGypsy
post Jan 20 2011, 11:41 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Decapitated_Dan @ Jan 20 2011, 10:49 AM) *

THANK YOU!

It figures I rant a bit about this on the show last night and now we get more pictures and a poster with the impending release date on it. I had someone send me these, I'm not kidding 5 minutes after we finished recording.

Also, Emma's leather suit is a little too Emma Peel for me. I still don't get why it needs to be in the 60's? There's not a lot of "action" in these shots they're releasing. It's mostly people standing or sitting around. I'm thus far unimpressed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_cougar18_*
post Jan 20 2011, 11:42 AM
Post #31

Guests

QUOTE (Decapitated_Dan @ Jan 20 2011, 08:49 AM) *

Maybe it helps him focus his power?

+Quote Post
Gordon_D
post Jan 21 2011, 07:02 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,467

First, to argue for January Jones....any of you watch her work in Mad Men? She actually can pull off a serious role....and I don't remember Emma Frost being the kind of character who was shy, demure, and who covered herself. smile.gif

But all in all...I'm not looking forward to this movie. Loved the first two films, and the third turned me off so much....that I'm not sure I want to see that Wolverine movie. dry.gif

--------------------
Tipping Sacred Cows since 2004 at http://www.blogthispal.com
More stuff can be found at http://www.gordondymowski.com

+Quote Post
Guest_cougar18_*
post Jan 21 2011, 05:08 PM
Post #33

Guests

QUOTE (Gordon_D @ Jan 21 2011, 06:02 AM) *
First, to argue for January Jones....any of you watch her work in Mad Men? She actually can pull off a serious role....and I don't remember Emma Frost being the kind of character who was shy, demure, and who covered herself. smile.gif

But all in all...I'm not looking forward to this movie. Loved the first two films, and the third turned me off so much....that I'm not sure I want to see that Wolverine movie. dry.gif

She was also in the Three burials of Melquides Estrada (correct title?) and she was really good in that. Different character again.

+Quote Post
Cary
post Jan 21 2011, 06:11 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,957

QUOTE (cougar18 @ Jan 18 2011, 06:22 PM) *
Has Emma Frost ever looked like anything other than a cheap prostitute?

Uh...no.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/5551/...super_super.jpg

This chick was dressed like a hooker from way back. I see nothing shocking about the version in the movie after 3 decades of White Queen under the bridge. I'm with Gladman, she's a poor man's Jean Grey, only not as hot, and bitchy. Granted she didn't eat a star system, and hasn't died and come back fifty times, but she's still second fiddle.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SapphireGypsy
post Jan 22 2011, 12:22 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

See I'm gonna disagree with you when it comes to Emma being a poor man's Jean Grey. sad.gif

I think that Emma has actual depth to her. Twists to her story not just "Eh let's make her evil now." I've never been crazy about her stint in her underwear but she's wearing more clothing than Wonder Woman usually wears now. Heck in Dodson's depictions of her she's got less skin showing than Huntress.

But then I've gotta stick up for my girl... Is Frost's have to stick together. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Jan 22 2011, 06:11 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

I prefer Emma over Jean, and it's totally not because of the way she dresses. There, I said it. Fact is, I'd prefer she dress more respectively. Still, Jean is too whole milk for me, never was really a fan of her. She was only really interesting when she was Phoenix...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Jan 22 2011, 06:14 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Gordon_D @ Jan 21 2011, 08:02 AM) *

For the record, for my part, I've not seen the girl act that I'm aware of, and stated I had nothing against her. All I said was judging by the majority of photos found upon searching her name, it wasn't surprising that she would be dressed as she was in that first photo, fake or not.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cary
post Jan 22 2011, 08:08 AM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,957

QUOTE (SapphireGypsy @ Jan 22 2011, 12:22 AM) *
See I'm gonna disagree with you when it comes to Emma being a poor man's Jean Grey. sad.gif

I think that Emma has actual depth to her. Twists to her story not just "Eh let's make her evil now." I've never been crazy about her stint in her underwear but she's wearing more clothing than Wonder Woman usually wears now. Heck in Dodson's depictions of her she's got less skin showing than Huntress.

But then I've gotta stick up for my girl... Is Frost's have to stick together. wink.gif

Well I do like Emma, no doubt about it, I mean seriously, she's kinda bad ass! I just always liked Jeanie better. Emma has a good bit of her back story left to fill in, which does leave readers with a sense of wonder at times. What really burns me about Emma is the whole diamond skin thing. I mean really, was the mean mental mastery not enough? Emma had it going on with her mind powers, what did she need the diamond for? To me that was weak. If you were gonna give her diamond powers then they should have stripped her of the psionics.

Now Jean on the other hand...she was deep from way back. Brant says 'whole milk' but really that's just her surface personality, as evidenced by what got set free when the Hellfire club and Mastermind screwed with her head. You can also see that girl trying to get out at times, like right before she became Phoenix. She had toughened up a lot, and was starting to really come alive...and then she died. I think Jean is tragic in that way, or at least was before we started the endless death and rebirth thing.

So could Emma redeem herself and all? I dunno. I think she's still pretty greasy, and it'll always be hard for me to trust her. She's always got something evil going on behind the scenes, even if Scott is too...whipped to see it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Jan 22 2011, 10:09 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 2,660

I just never liked what Marvel did with Frost or Magneto for that matter......making them "good guys" when they were great as the "bad guys" all this discussion about the character and not a solid reference to an actual good story that Frost has been in that was as good as the stuff she was introduced in....and I'm talking the Claremont/Byrne Hellfire club stuff (issues #129-134) see I have no problem remembering exactly the last time the character did anything I thought was note worthy....issue #152 wasn't bad either. But it did suffer slightly because Byrne had already left the title by then. Back when she was still playing on the "other side".

There's no clear reasoning for the shift in the character's motives other than Morrison hated the Claremont /Byrne stuff and replaced Jean with Frost.

And as for what she looks like....she really looks like Ruth Buzzi. She uses her telepathy to alter her appearance. She's older than Aunt May. Won't the long list of Marvel Characters that have slept with be surprised if they knew that!

--------------------
"Reality is only for those who lack imagination" don't know who first said that....but it works for me!

+Quote Post
SapphireGypsy
post Jan 22 2011, 11:26 AM
Post #40

Advanced Member

I've never been crazy about the diamond skin myself. I always thought that if she was going to develop a secondary power it should have been something more psychic based. The diamond skin kills me.

Every character has been around for like 100 years at this point, the fact that she's older than Aunt May is kind of like pointing out that Spiderman is never older than 20. You kinda have to suspend reality and aging when it comes to comics.

For me the fact that you can't really trust her makes her interesting. I think she's a bit like Magneto in the fact that she doesn't really think she's a bad guy. Emma did what she had to do to survive at the beginning. When she walked away from her dad giving her the company, to keep her under his thumb, she did what she had to to survive. I think that her powers are what corrupted her. It's hard to not think that a teenager who wasn't allowed to join with Xavier because of her dad would develop bad "habits" with her powers. When you can make people do anything you want them too... well who as a teenager wouldn't got a little crazy with it?

I think them putting her in Xavier's school was a chance for them to give Emma something she's wanted since she was a kid. A chance to show her as something other than this evil stripper than they turned her into.

With her being "good" now you're really not SURE if you're supposed to trust her or not. I think that's what makes her interesting. As opposed to her doing a "Oh I'm good now" turn she's working with the "good guys" but you don't know for sure if she IS one of the good guys.

Jean as Dark Phoenix never really impressed me. There never was the pull for me that Emma did. She never interested me, her story always seemed kind of flat. She was always so obviously good that when they turned her "bad" it seemed fake. Then they pull the "Oh her powers just made her crazy" well they never made Xavier or Emma crazy so is Jean just a pansy?

Jean has always seemed weak to me and I like my characters strong. I like my women independent, Jean always seemed needy and clingy to me. She can't let Scott out of her sight for a second without worrying about what he's doing. (It's no wonder he cheated on her with Emma)

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th October 2014 - 12:11 PM