Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Comic Bloopers
Forums > Comic Related Forums > General Discussion
Liam Bradley
Post comic bloopers you may have come across, whether it be typos, artwork flaws, or just things that don't make sense.

I'll post a few things

Kirkman is infact Human.

Doc Oc is confused

Didn't Stan Lee create Peter Parker?

lol 2 left hands?

Cary
lol i love the two left hands one. that's classic! makes me want to pour back over my old comics one of these days with a fine toothed comb.
Liam Bradley
Stupid Kirby tongue.gif
Crazz
Yeah, that Kirby guy was no good huh?? What a hack!! Maybe he should have slowed down and only drawn 5 issues a month!!! biggrin.gif
G-Man
Stan Lee once said that the hyphon in that Doc Ock panel when he says "Super-Man" was the only thing that kept him from being sued!

And speaking of that slacker Kirby...here's another two left hand picture (or is it?)

Check the Torch's hands
Liam Bradley
ah yes. Kirby is such an idiot!!! Just a 1 hit wonder if you asked me tongue.gif
Cary
ok now i know going into this post i'll open myself up to a lot of backlash, so right up front i'll say fire when ready Gridley.

but I've always kinda disliked Kirby's art on most things. i think he gets away with anatomy couched in "style" far more than a lot of people he called contemporaries, and it just blows me away how revered he is across the board. now understand i'm not saying the guy didn't do great things. i LOVE the work he did on Sandman and Kamandi. LOVE it. and there are spot issues of books like the X-men and a few others that i definitely enjoyed his stuff. no one does the new Gods like Kirby did. plain and simple. his energy and movement are unparalleled and should be required study for artists today without a doubt. but like anyone else the guy had areas where he was behind the curve artistically compared to his peers. but then i've always been a Carmine Infantino guy too, so go figure. different style and such. going back into the silver age, my pick for best artist of them all? easy. Joe Kubert. if there's a "King" it should be Kubert, not Kirby. and John Romita Sr. comes a close second IMO.
Liam Bradley
I vote Romita Snr to BE the king of the silver age. I just prefer his stuff.
Ron Fortier
Cary, I appreciate your comments and honest thoughts about Jack Kirby. I personally consider Russ Heath the finest artist ever to grace a comic page. But here's something I think you fail to take into account, and I'm sure Joe Kubert and Russ Heath would agree with me here.
They could not have developed their own unique and vibrant styles had not Kirby come first and broken the tired old comics layout formulas.
Just so many panels per page, all the same static shots and everything had to stay within the panel borders.
Whether he intended to do it on purpose, or his work became an evolution of two factors. The first being Kirby was a movie fanatic and loved to go to the movies. He actually believed comics could be more cinematic. Then when he was forced to work crazy hours and produce tons of new comics against impossible deadlines, something unexpected happened. Jack opted to break the old formulas, to forget the rules about how many panels, to do close ups and long distance shots, to mix them up in a movie-like fashion...and then he started letting his figures jump out of the panels.
Cary, he was the first to allow graphic art to explode across the comic page and in doing so, he freed all those who would come after him to seek their own artistic expression. He was the trail-blazer and all those who did come after him knew that, admired him for what he had done and guys like Kubert and Heath, and all the others since, have followed in his giant footsteps.
Does that mean he was the most sophisticated comic book artist. No way.
But he was truly the King of the Comics.
Sean Collins
I have to agree with Ron, Kirby by style, compositon and kinetic feel to his work deserves the praise he gets not to mention he has a very proflic body of work.
G-Man
I was never a big Kirby fan when I was a kid....I was always going crazy over Perez, Miller, Zeck, Golden, Starlin, and Byrne.

Nowadays I'm a Kirby addict.

A junkie really.

I can stare at his stuff for hours.

If I could "shoot up pages" of Devil Dinosaur I would.
Cary
you know, i have to agree with you about how he did the pioneering of the dynamic page Ron, he really did. i sorta touched on that with my earlier post about how his movement and energy were beyond his peers, but that was probably WAY understating that because he was the one who altered things irrevocably for comics. in that aspect of the game he was decades before his time.

but i do wonder, even as i agree with most of what you have here, if his time didn't also pass him by to a great degree. Kirby certainly broke comics out of a very stagnant mold, regardless of the reasons why. personally i believe he did it because expedience required it. he couldn't handle the load of drawing five or six comics a month and stick to the panel counts of the day. so add in a splash page here, a three panel page there, ramp up the storytelling and make a show of it, a real cinematic experience. but he was never real to me. his stuff always had this...mushy look to it that just didn't resonate like Kubert's did. when i saw Sgt. Rock and Easy Company getting shelled by the Nazis...that was as real as WW2 was ever going to get for me. i still get more juice out of those books than i do watching Saving Private Ryan. those were the first comics that left me with a feeling. like you'd been there, experienced it with those guys. you were PART of Easy Co.

anyway, what i mean by his time passing him by is this; he innovated certainly, but then he plateaued to a great degree. and in that plateau he was left behind by the guys that picked up the torch and burned the house down as they went. Kubert, Heath, Romita and a number of others took that foundation he poured and they built an art form on it.

but you know, to this day, i still can't get enough of his Kamandi. smile.gif
Ron Fortier
You know Cary, its these discussions about comic legends that I love. And one side-bar here is we both agree Kirby simply wasn't a polished artist. Which was why, on those few occasions when he was inked by other greats did the finish product take on a strange new
greatness. One of those times being when Wally Wood got a hold of his pencils. Wood was one of the fancy guys whose art was "pretty" to look at, so when he inked over Kirby, all of a sudden you had all the power of Kirby, but the graceful smoothness of Wood. Those match ups were all to few, but they produced classic masterpieces.
Liam Bradley
yeah so...comic bloopers! those sure are funny dry.gif biggrin.gif
Ron Fortier
laugh.gif Sorry about that, Liam. You know, I was actually getting ready to post that we all seemed to have strayed way afield of your original theme for this thread. But that's the CR gang for you. Start on one topic and wound up on another. Once you even mentioned Kirby in jest, the door was open. Still a good theme, amigo. Let's see if anyone else wants to pick it up.
Liam Bradley
mwaha, I don't mind, as long as it's comic related I don't mind biggrin.gif

G-Man
Does Spider-Man 3 count as a comic blooper?
Liam Bradley
Not only does it count, but I'm pretty sure it's the epitome.
John Wilson
Not to digress yet again but it is probably important to remember that Stan Lee gave Kirby the nickname "King" as much as an illiteration as anything else. If his name had been "Smith" or "Jones", it probably would have been something else. Not that the man didn't grow into the title by sheer volume of work but it is surely not a name he would have given himself.

As for the comic bloopers, too funny! I guess a few editors were asleep at the wheel those days.
Liam Bradley
QUOTE (Jordans @ May 23 2009, 10:38 AM) *
Hercules pulls Manhattan Island? Really? Really?

Okay, I’m not a picker of nits and I realize comic books aren’t the place to find factual stories that are based on truth. I also know a man can fly, a man can breathe water, survive in space, shoot beams from his eyes and a hundred other powers are described in the comic books, but the idea of pulling Manhattan is so absurd it must start the list of comic book bloopers by Marvel. Do I even have to ask what the chain could possibly be connected to? The only “bigger” blatant disregard of physics is the defiance of gravity so many females are capable of with their bosoms.

Yeah, way to copy and paste some text from the internet and pass it off as your own ohmy.gif

http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-marvel-comic-book-bloopers.php
Liam Bradley
QUOTE (Liam Bradley @ May 23 2009, 01:38 PM) *
Yeah, way to copy and paste some text from the internet and pass it off as your own ohmy.gif

AaronSmith
I can see both points of view in the little debate between Ron and Cary. I agree that historically Kirby was probably the most influential comics artist and certainly was part of the "birth" of more great concepts than any other artist.

That being said, when it comes to my personal likes, Kubert is the best I've ever seen as far as pure ability at drawing comics well. His work has a tremendous energy and power that very, very few other cartoonists have ever managed. Not only that, but he deserves serious credit for two other things, his work in comics art education, and his incredible longevity. He's been consistently active in comics since the 1930! and he's still producing great work. His Tor series last year was beautifully drawn.

I give a lot of credit to both Kirby and Kubert.
Ross Hughes
QUOTE (Liam Bradley @ May 23 2009, 07:38 AM) *

I hate the phrase "you've been owned", but if there is a clearer example out there of its definition, I'm not sure what it is. laugh.gif

A blooper a little closer to home.....

Can you spot what is wrong with this page? (It's been fixed and will not appear like this in the issue though. Ha!!!)

Liam Bradley
QUOTE (Ross Hughes @ Aug 17 2009, 07:51 PM) *
I hate the phrase "you've been owned", but if there is a clearer example out there of its definition, I'm not sure what it is. laugh.gif

A blooper a little closer to home.....

Can you spot what is wrong with this page? (It's been fixed and will not appear like this in the issue though. Ha!!!)

Haha. Tons of ownage.

Erm Villain is spelled wrong lol.
Ross Hughes
You win a Yes- Prize!
Liam Bradley
QUOTE (Ross Hughes @ Aug 17 2009, 08:33 PM) *
You win a Yes- Prize!

Nothin gets by me!!!
otakurabu888
LOL @ Doc Ock FAIL. It seems like there are a lot of double left hands/right hands bloopers. :/ Does anyone else have anymore bloopers to share? These are really making me LOL. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.