Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How To's and Tips - What do you use? How do you do it?
Forums > Sketch Magazine Forums > Sketch Magazine > Sketch Magazine: Tips and Trick of the Trade
Tim Tilley
I did learn one tip from Jim Lee when it came to inking. Using a white-Out pen to make not only corrections, but
add highlights, and relief to give the piece more depth.

I always wanted to know how pros create the effects of snow, rain, and things like that.

For writing, I always found when I write a treatment , or
outline in screenplay format, I can write quicker. I often use slugs when planning the plot out.
Tim Tilley
Yeah, and the fact that Jim does more penciling thank inks, it did come as a surprise.

I also heard that others have used dry fur brushes to feather the ink to create clouds, and other effects.
John Wilson
I've found a good source for pens. There is a place called Archivers that specializes in memory and scrap book supplies. They carry a large size selection of the Micron pens, brush pens and others good for fine line work. My local one is in a mall and they are also on-line.

On the subject of white-out pens, I have always found the yellow labeled ones (Bic?) to be superior to the liquid paper brand.
Tim Tilley
Liqud Paper brand is bad, and has a habit of clogging.

Thanks for the tip on the store John, I'll look into the online store. I have been wanting to get a set of microns, and copics as well.
John Wilson
I recently found a pen from Bic of all places called the Z4+ needle point 0.5 gel pen. It is great on multiple fine lines and small feathering. You just never know where you will stumble across a goodie...
Tim Tilley
Thanks for the great heads up, I'll look into that next time I shop for art supplies.
John Wilson
("Voice_Guy":1u4zzem2)
Thanks for the great heads up, I'll look into that next time I shop for art supplies.

Office Depot is where I picked up that little gem. They have a surprising number of art supplies there as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.